Having a computer in the form of a desktop or a laptop is quite common these days. You might be using it in your home, office or any other place depending on your needs and requirements. But what is more important than owning a computer sporting the latest hardware is possessing the knowledge on how to maintain it in the longer run so that it serves you well for several years before you think about an upgrade. Computer maintenance is no rocket science and the task is further simplified, thanks to the availability of free software that you can make use of to keep your computer clutter free. There are numerous recommendations that computer maintenance experts suggest in order to ensure that your computer runs smoothly. Let us take a look at the best of those recommendations and understand how they can prolong the life of your computer.
Computer Maintenance Breakdown
The maintenance of your computer can be broken down into three main time frequencies and they are as follows,
There are different tasks that need to be carried out based on the time frequency for maintaining your computer so that it remains in the best shape possible whenever you use it. The detailed breakdown of tasks for each time frequency is listed below.
- Run cleaning software – Software such as CCleaner and Advanced System Care are great for cleaning your computer so as to remove unwanted junk files, browsing history, cookies and any other useless data that occupies space in your computer’s hard disk. This software can be used for free and if you wish to use their full set of features, you can purchase a yearly license.
- Taking Backups – Performing backups of your computer’s data is highly important and it should be done at least once a week if not daily. Doing so will help minimize the risk and agony that a user experiences when the computer’s hard disk crashes all of a sudden, gets fried due to an abrupt power surge or gets affected by a data corrupting virus or malware.
- Run Antivirus scans to detect threats – Always make it a point to purchase reliable antivirus software for your computer every year. If you can’t afford it, at least use a free version to safeguard your computer from external threats. Run scans in your computer to detect any potential threats such as malware, virus and Trojans and eliminate them immediately. This will keep your data out of harm’s way and prevent your computer’s health from being compromised.
- Checking for errors on hard disk and fixing them – It doesn’t matter whether you are using a Mac or a Windows computer because any computer’s hard disk is prone to suffering hard disk errors. That is why it is essential for you to check your hard disk for any disk errors by initiating a hard disk scan. But be informed that while the scan is in progress, it is not advisable to use the computer as it can interfere with the scanning process. Also, you can choose to schedule scans of your hard disk at regular intervals so that disk errors are minimized.
- Defrag your computer’s hard drive – Regular and frequent usage of you computer will eventually lead to your data files being broken it smaller parts and getting scattered across multiple areas of the hard drive. This phenomenon is known as fragmentation of files. If your data files become fragmented, it will be difficult for the computer to read them. Hence, it is recommended that you defrag your computer’s hard disk once a month to ensure that all files are in their original format without suffering from any fragmentation.
- Install important and vital updates – Always check for the availability of any critical and important system updates once a month and install them immediately if there are any. This will keep your computer’s operating system up to date and guarantee peak performance.
- Uninstall unused programs – Having unused programs will not only occupy space in your computer’s hard disk, it will also slow down your system’s overall efficiency and cause regular lags. So it is better to uninstall programs that you don’t use and keep only those that you need the most.
It is quite hard to clean the insides of your computer, especially if it is a desktop. But like all other things that are exposed to the environment, computers can also gather dust. So cleaning your computer insides should be carried out once a year. All you need to do remove the desktop or laptop’s external casing and use a can of compressed to blow away all the dirt and dust that you have accumulated within the computer hardware. It is a fairly simple job but requires time and patience to carry out. If you can’t do the cleaning job on your own, you can always call in a professional to do the job for you and pay him or her service fee.
Once you have mastered the art of computer maintenance, you will find that you can easily harness the complete power and potential of your computer and use it to increase your productivity by a significant margin. Hence, ignoring to look after your computer can be an expensive mistake that one should avoid at all costs.